Monday, August 29, 2011

Camping...

This weekend we went camping. It was sort of a disaster. I don't want to go into a rant about all the things that made it horrible but I do have some theory's. First and far most I think my expectations for the kids was unfair. It was hot and dusty so unlike being in the comfort of my own home I had little to no interest in entertaining them. The second being that I don't think we picked a good camp ground for our group of campers. If we had no children, or maybe just the six year old, it might have worked out okay, but we are not childless! Lastly, I'm pregnant! I think up to about two weeks ago I would have had a much different trip. Lately I have gotten...grumpy :( This did not suddenly disappear when we added heat, dust, and bees.
We left mid day on Friday for what should be a three and a half, maybe four hour car ride. It turned into something like six. I must say that I do love that drive though. Saturday was a day I would like to forget...for the most part because of my behavior. We did get to swim a little and it felt so wonderful to be in the water. Sunday was really a great day. I even had some "messy" events that would have normally sent me over the edge, but I had been so disappointed with how the whole trip was turning out that I was really determined to salvage whatever was left and keep the good mood rolling. Really what can be too upsetting when your swimming and floating on a lake???
We got home super late after a car ride that was slightly intense due to sleepiness and put everyone to bed. This morning I started the week long process of laundry!!! But on the way home I was able to digest a little about the trip and what exactly had made it go so down hill. Wile I don't think there was one single contributor to the failure, I did notice that Sunday went remarkably better then Saturday. I think this might be due to how the mornings started off. Saturday was so chaotic. We made breakfast and the bees went crazy. It was stressful and no one got to eat very well. On Sunday we had purchased a canopy tent to put over a table. The bees where out of our way, everyone was able to eat and enjoy. The day went much better when the morning had been smoother. This led me to to really focus on trying to get up in the morning before my family. I know from every source that I have read about being a christian, wife, mother, all my books on praying, organizing, and parenting all say get up in the morning before your family so you can have quiet time and give God your first moments of the day. Knowing is not always doing! I am not a morning person. I prefer to be up at night. I have made a new commitment to getting up early to have some time in the Word and pray, then sit and read some of the blogs I enjoy wile having my coffee. Then when my husband and kids get up I can focus my mind on them and starting their morning off right.
I got up this morning and had my time. I would say the day went really well. I am glad to have some experience to go along with the knowledge of how to get my family to run efficiently. I do enjoy them, even if it's something I have to remind myself in a time of hormonal craziness! I like my family, and if I'm out of control then they are too and no one needs a mom like that!

No comments:

Post a Comment