Wednesday, July 27, 2011

A Lesson in Serving Others

Recently my children have acquired a preference to what color plate they want their food to be served on. We have a rainbow selection of several different kinds of plastic plates. "I want blue!", "No, I get the blue one!" fills the table at every meal. We have matching bowls that have different characters at the bottom and they started asking me for a specific character AFTER I had poured the milk into the cereal. Seriously???
My girlfriend talked with me the other day about how she frequently talkers with her kids about serving God by serving each other. *Idea*... I started plating their food, placing it on the counter, then calling them to eat by saying "please grab a plate (or bowl) for someone else". They love it!!! I have not heard one complaint about what plate, or bowl, someone got. No one is mad that someone else got a bigger strawberry then them. They are all so excited to give the plate to someone else then rush to their spot to see what they got.
My six year old daughter asked me the other afternoon at lunch why they had to give someone else a plate. I told her that we serve God by serving each other. This phrase is in preparation for writing lines later as a character development tool. ;)
Sadly I have noticed that in their excitement to serve each other no one ever grabs my plate :( but I wont be picky about who they are serving. In my mommy heart I do hope soon someone will notice my lonely plate sitting on the counter and choose to serve me too.

No comments:

Post a Comment