Thursday, July 28, 2011

The Parable of the Lost Shoe

My daughter is the first born. She is also the first grandchild on both sides. She is also the only grand daughter and, for my in-laws, the only girl at all. My husband is the middle of three boys so you can only imagine the amount of dresses and shoes this princess has. Teaching her appreciation has been something we have to intentionally work on. In our back yard we have rail way ties that block off our lawn from the down grade hill that is wooded. Right behind one of the ties is a large dirt pit. The kids love to dig, and fill, and cover themselves in it all the time. Most days they come back missing various articles of clothing, most commonly shoes and socks which I try to stay on top of. It doesn't always happen. Laila had just got a new pair of pink Crocks from my Mother-in-law when I had to make a routine trip out to the dirt pit to check for clothing left behind. I found one Crock. Today I instructed Laila to put play shoes on and go out to find her missing Crock. She huffed and puffed and said, "It's too hard mom. It's just lost. I can't find it." (Because I know how well threatening works *sarcasm*) I replied, "Well then Ill just throw that one away since you don't want to find the other one!" She looked me strait in the face and said, "Okay Mom, that's fine. You can throw it away." *Backfire* She received a time out in her room wile I contemplated what my next move would be.
When she came out I explained to her about gifts, and how they are precious because it means someone else was thinking of us and wanted to make us happy. I also explained appreciation for the thing that we have, and if she was unwilling to put the effort into finding her lost shoe that I would have to take away the excess amount of shoes she had leaving only a pair for playing, and a pair for going out. (She has several beloved pairs including sparkles and bows) She looked at me in hopelessness and said, "Mom, I just don't know how to find it." I understand her struggle. She often has a hard time looking for misplaced objects. I tried to take this as an opportunity to teach her the process of finding something. I asked her where she remembered having her shoes last. After a long detailed story she told me the dirt pit. I explained that if she remembered having them in the dirt pit she should look all around it and see where it might hiding out of sight. I told her if she was to put good effort into finding the lost shoe, and found it, we would have a party to celebrate. She lit up. "With cake?" I said no, I cant make a cake, but we will celebrate and call your Vovo to tell her we found your missing shoe and she will celebrate with us. Needless to say she found the shoe. She was so excited. We all jumped up and down and hugged her and sang.
At lunch I read the kids the parable of the lost coin. Laila immediately saw the connection between the woman who found her coin and celebrated, and herself who had found her lost shoe. I talked about how God will find us when we are lost, although I don't quite think she understood. After dinner we baked cookies and congratulated her on finding her lost pink Crock. I wonder if they will remember this day, and the excitement over finding something you thought was gone forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment